According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there were more than 4,500 alcohol-related crashes in the state in 2020. Approximately 2,900 people sustained injuries in those crashes, and 181 people died. The law requires drivers to carry minimum amounts of car insurance, but insurance companies don’t like to pay claims.
Drunk driving accidents can cause catastrophic injuries and financial worries. Many accident victims hire a drunk driving accident lawyer to help them recover damages. MDK Law Group understands the distress of accident survivors and the family members of those who die due to their injuries.
Why Do You Need a Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Maricopa County?
You may wonder if hiring an attorney is worth it. If you suffered injuries in a drunk driving accident or a family member lost their life, you can benefit from hiring an attorney for many reasons. When you choose MDK Law Group, we will:
- Advise you of your options
- Investigate your accident thoroughly and gather evidence to back your claim
- Work to prove that the drunk driver was negligent
- Keep you updated on the status of your case
- Serve as your representative with insurance companies
- File paperwork on your behalf
- Fight to get a favorable settlement or take your case to court
- Likely get much more compensation for you than you would without an attorney on your side
Even in cases where the drunk driver failed a sobriety test at the scene, several circumstances can complicate your attempt to recover damages for your injuries. A drunk driving accident lawyer can help in any of these situations.
1. The Insurance Company Doesn’t Want To Pay
Insurance carriers will probably cover drunk driving accidents caused by their policyholders but not always. If this happens, you may need to file a claim with your own insurance company. A drunk driving accident lawyer will explain your options.
As with any kind of accident claim, your carrier is interested in its bottom line and might try to give you minimal compensation. Your drunk driving accident lawyer can represent you against your own insurance company and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
2. The Insurance Settlement Offer Is Too Low
Insurance companies often try to get accident victims to accept low settlement offers. You might not know that you can negotiate for a higher offer.
When you hire a drunk driving accident lawyer from MDK Law Group, we won’t let insurance companies get away with paying less than you deserve. We will aggressively negotiate with them to get you maximum compensation.
3. A Drunk Driver Didn’t Have Insurance
If the drunk driver who caused your accident doesn’t have car insurance, you’ll probably have to file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company. You’d think your insurer would pay your damages willingly, but that’s not necessarily the case.
These cases are very similar to those where the drunk driver’s insurance company denies coverage. Hiring a drunk driving accident lawyer is in your best interests.
4. A Licensed Establishment Served the Drunk Driver
Arizona law states that you can attempt to claim damages from the establishment or people who served alcohol to the drunk driver under the Dram Shop Acts. These acts also affect those who knowingly serve alcohol to minors, even in social settings.
Your drunk driving accident lawyer will do several things to gather evidence, including:
- Track the drunk driver’s actions prior to causing your accident
- Obtain copies of video surveillance footage in establishments they visited
- Speak to establishment employees
- Talk to witnesses
Your attorney must act fast before the surveillance recordings disappear and track down witnesses while their memories are still fresh. Even if you’re not sure how the drunk driver obtained the alcohol, involving a lawyer quickly allows them to help you while gathering evidence is easier.
5. The Drunk Driver Is a Minor
You can possibly seek damages from parents of underaged children who drove drunk and caused your accident and injuries. This is especially true when the child has a history of alcohol or drug abuse.
Your drunk driving accident lawyer can investigate the minor’s history and prepare a case against the parents if your case qualifies.
6. The Insurance Company Disputes the Evidence
If the officers at your accident scene suspected a driver was drinking, they likely used a breath test or other means of testing the driver’s blood alcohol content. The officer probably also charged them with a DUI.
Even if the test results showed the driver was over the legal limit, their insurance company might dispute the evidence.
What Damages Can You Recover?
In Arizona, you may qualify to receive three kinds of compensation if you suffered injuries in a drunk driving accident. Ask your drunk driving accident lawyer what types of damages you can ask for.
This category of compensatory damages reimburses you for specific expenses incurred because of your accident. These expenses include:
- Medical bills
- Expenses related to medical care, such as necessary equipment, prescriptions, rehabilitation, and transportation to and from appointments
- Costs to hire caregivers
- Vehicle repair or replacement
- Lost wages because of time missed from work during your recovery and dealing with your insurance claim
You can suffer in different ways from a car accident, and these compensatory damages attempt to address them. You might receive damages for:
- Pain and suffering — physical, emotional, and mental
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Damage to personal relationships
- Loss of your ability to enjoy life
- Diminished earning capacity
Punitive damages are rare. A court may award them to further punish the drunk driver in extreme circumstances. This category of damages attempts to change harmful behaviors, such as driving while intoxicated.
Why Should You Choose MDK Law Group as Your Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer in Maricopa County?
When you need a drunk driving accident lawyer, you need to trust that your attorney will represent you competently. MDK Law Group has a successful track record with car accident cases, including those involving drunk drivers.
We understand that you’re already facing financial difficulties because of your accident. You won’t owe us fees unless we win your case.
Call us at (623) 225-5635. Contact us for a free consultation today. Someone is available by phone 24/7. Se habla Espanol.